Thursday, March 5, 2015

Healthier Me - Update

I have really dropped the ball on posting about my path to a healthier me, the last time I posted was January 5th.

Let me tell you what has been going on:

1.  I made the big leap by registering to run a 1/2 marathon

2.  I'm having a hard time finding the right combination of eating to lose weight and fuel my body for running.

3.  I joined a gym

4.  Learning as I go along about the do's and don'ts of running

5.  Subscribed to 2 running magazines - Women's Running and Runner's World

I've never been a runner - to be frank I hated to run. When I started my walking regiment last year I decided to run a 5k, it was hard, I pushed myself and I can say I completed that run without stopping or walking.

When I was looking at another 5k to run this year I came across a 1/2 marathon. As a joke I sent the info to my daughter and said I'm considering this. Her message back to me....Let's do it, I will run it with you. My message back to her, okay. My next thought what the hell did I just commit to and then to make sure I didn't back out I registered the two of us for the run. The big day is September 12th.

I searched running apps to help me train for the 1/2 marathon. The app I found that is working the best for me is Run Coach 13.1, 3 days a week for 18 weeks it is slowing preparing me for the run. After the 18 weeks I will run every other day until the 1/2 marathon. I have also added another app RunKeeper to track my running.

I then joined a gym, Anytime Fitness. I'm doing strengthen training the days I'm not running. My other plan with the gym if we have bad weather I can always run on the treadmill or use the elliptical. The jokes on me right now...We just had a huge snow storm come in a drop a ton of snow on us. I can't even get down to the gym. LOL

I'm doing my training right, slow, baby steps I do not want any injuries. This next part isn't something that you enjoy talking about but it is important if you are thinking about running. Find a store that really knows about running to get your shoes. I bought my first pair of running shoes in my normal size, just tried them on they felt good and the guy at Dick's Sporting Goods didn't know jack about running shoes. I got what is called a Runner's Black Toe, it's from not having properly fit running shoes and the black toe is a blood blister that forms under the toenail. I found a running store that measured me, checked my gate walking and properly fitted me with new running shoes. I went up a 1/2 size and found out that my foot rolls in, my new shoes correct this problem. Running shoes are expensive but the most important part of your running regiment and you will need a new pair after 500 miles. If you find a pair of shoes that work well for you consider buying a few pairs that way when race day comes you are using a pair of shoes that you are use to.

One of the most important things I have learned hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I found out the scary way to drink water before running and it's not what you think. I was so afraid of drinking water before running, because what if I'm out there running and I have to pee. Let me tell you you sweat that liquid out no need to worry about that. What happened to me from not drinking water before running I had blood in my urine. So now the night before running I drink a lot of water and before going running I have two to three glasses of water and since I have been doing this I have not had a problems with blood in my urine.

It's important to educate yourself when taking up serious running. A Facebook friend Christine Dutton suggested the book The Complete 26-week Training Program Marathon and Half Marathon The Beginner's Guide by Marnie Caron. It is a great book, I have pages tagged and highlighted. I also bought it for my daughter and sent it to her, she loves it too. Ask other runner's questions, check out running sites online, running magazines and running groups in your area.

I will work harder on updating my progress a couple times a month.



    

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing Pam! Wish I could be there to cheer you on at the marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cheryl, your support has keeps me plugging along

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good for you! Just recently I was able to run 10 minutes straight on the treadmill - my biggest accomplishment yet...And here you are running 1/2 marathons, amazing!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips