Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cookbook Review: In Her Kitchen by Gabriele Galimberti

This has been one of the most enjoyable cookbooks I have read and I have not even made one dish from it yet. In Her Kitchen Stories and Recipes from Grandmas Around the World by Gabriele Galimberti, take 53 women from all walks of life, from cramped kitchens, to dirt floors what do they all have in common....cooking for the families they love.

Gabriele Galimberti is a photographer who has traveled the world, his work has been featured in Newsweek, Le Monde and Vanity Fair just to name a few publications. In 2013 he completed a 18-month photography trip around the world.



















For each women he gives her name, her age, where she is located, a photo and a small blurb about their lives that is thoughtfully written. I found it very interesting that some of the women work in restaurants or other establishments and are not able to cook for their families everyday.

I already have a post-it list attached to the inside cover of the dishes I'm interested in making.

Swiss Chard and Ricotta Ravioli with Meat Sauce from Marisa Batini - Italy (this is a dish from the authors grandmother)
Bat Bot (bread) from Fatma Bahkach - Morocco
Khinkali (Pork and Beef Dumplings) from Natalie Bakradze - Georgia
Feijoada Light from Anna Lucia Souza Pascoal - Brazil
Queso Humacha (Vegetables and Fresh Cheese Stew) from Julia Enaigua - Boliva
Inkoko Nama Spices (Roasted Spiced Chicken) from Joyce Muape - Zambia
Hui Guo Ron (Twice-Cooked Pork with Vegetables) from Pan Guang Mei - China
Bison Under the Midnight Sun from Kathy O'Donovan - Canada
Abolu Pirags  (Sweet Pizza with Apples and Chocolate) from Natalija Kaze - Latvia
Tart with Walnuts and Mountain Honey from Giovanna Stoll Simona - Switzerland
Tiramisu alla Toscanna from Paola Agnelli - Italy

As much as I can appreciate their cultures I will be passing on Finkubala (Caterpillars in Tomato Sauce) and Honduran Iguanan with Rice and Beans, just are not my cup of tea and I'm not that adventurous.

There are many other dishes I would like to try other than the ones I listed above, some might have to be tweaked to meats and fish that are to my liking. I think I could work around the caterpillars because the rest of the dish sounds delicious.

I would like to thank Blogging for Books for giving me this book to review.


2 comments:

  1. Embrace the insect LOL - one of the books I just received had cricket flour as an ingredient. Cricket flour. No thank you - just no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where does one find cricket flour, I have not seen it on KAF's website. lol

      Delete

 
Blogging tips