Monday, January 5, 2015

Back On The Path To A Healthier Me

Since I am closing my other blog "My Blog - My Journey" and incorporating into this blog I thought I would bring you up to date what has been going on. On June 10th I made the decision to start getting healthy, I had not been sleeping well and had the feeling of impending doom, that if I went to bed I wasn't going to wake up the next morning. This was a very overwhelming and scary feeling.

June 11th I weighed in at 236.3 pounds, I clipped my FitBit to my pants and started walking.  I walked my driveway half-way back and forth a few times a day. Now my driveway is not like most driveways. It is dirt, rocks, not flat and is a 1/4 mile one way.  Little by little I was taken more and more steps, my goal was 10,000 steps per day. I even figured out where on my driveway I needed to go to make one lap 1,000 steps so it was easier for me to figure out how many laps I needed to make 10,000.  I started going over the 10,000 steps and my best day I went over 30,000 steps.

I started walking down to the dirt road and back, which is around 5 miles round trip and the trip back is all up hill. When I go up the mountain it is about 18,000 steps round trip. I even started running and training to run a 5K. I signed up for a 5K in October, I ran slow and steady and completed the 5K and I wasn't in last place.  Another plus is I no longer have to take high blood pressure medication.

Along with all this walking I keep track of everything I eat on MyFitnessPal, there is a app for that for your phone. I keep my calories at 1,200 per day. I linked my FitBit and MyFitness Pal on the app when you hit 10,000 steps it starts adding activity calories onto MyFitnessPal, so if I went a little over my 1,200 calorie goal it was not big deal I have a cushion to fall back on.

In November I got a nasty cold, which then became a way too long break on FitBit and MyFitnessPal. Well it's time to get back on my Health and Fitness Path and today is that day. I have gained back some pounds, not a big deal, I lost weight once I can do it again.

Mondays will be my weigh in day and to reflect on the past week. I am putting everything out there, being honest, it is the way I keep myself accountable.

I  give myself goals and rewards. For every 10 pounds I lose I buy myself something.  I have bought myself blouses which is fantastic because I usually live in t-shirts and it's nice to have some real clothes. I haven't bought any pants yet since I have pants in smaller sizes I have had for years and have never worn, every time I can fit in a new pair it is a reward. I also splurged and bought myself a Kate Spade purse and matching wallet.

My goals have been to fit in the pants I have stashed away. I still have 10 pairs of pants I need to fit into before I need to buy pants again.  I did get a fantastic deal on a suit and I bought it in a size 12, my goal is to be able to fit in that suit before summer. I also bought a darling Boho top in a size medium and that's another goal.














































I am currently using the FitBit Zip as soon as FitBit comes out with the Charge HR I will be purchasing it. The Charge HR has a heart rate monitor which I need. The zip only counts my steps and when I am walking up and down a mountain I want it to take my heart rate into account since I'm burning more calories.

I have my husband take a photo of me every month, I measure once a month, so I can see the changes month to month. If you are on MyFitnessPal and/or FitBit look me up, befriend me and lets take this journey together - Pam Capone.



















Current Weight: 195.5
Start Weight: 236.3
Goal Weight: 130

3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing Pam, I reward myself with new clothes. As I leave a larger size behind for a smaller one, I donate it to charity. Now if I start gaining weight & clothes start to get snug, it gives me the motivation to really dig in & lose those pounds again because I am determined to not buy a bigger size ever again. I wish you lots of success with your journey! LOL...do you think there is ever an end to this journey...I feel like I'll still be doing it with a walker :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! You have a lot to be proud of, Pam. I wish I had you willpower.
    Wishing you all the best in 2015 and that you reach your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great Pam! Thanks for sharing your journey. I'm right there with you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips