Monday, October 13, 2014

Carnitas Tamale Pie

I came across a recipe for Carnitas Tamale Pie from Pinch of Yum on Pinterest. I had almost everything for Lindsey's recipe. Instead of making a trip to the market I decided to use what I had on hand and I wanted to add to her recipe.

I did some adjusting, I didn't have creamed corn so I used frozen corn and for the cream part I omitted the milk and used whipping cream instead. I also wanted to use refried beans to make it a bit heartier. Lastly I added black olives just because I love olives in Mexican dishes.

Stop by Pinch of Yum to check out the original recipe the link is provided below.






















Carnitas Tamale Pie
Adapted from: Pinch of Yum

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 egg
pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1 small can diced green chilies
2/3 cup frozen corn
1 3.8 oz can black olives, divided
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup enchilada sauce
1 16 oz can refried beans
3 cups shredded carnitas
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
cilantro, rough chop

Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Stir in whipping cream and egg just until just combined. Add cayenne pepper, green chilies, corn, 1/2 the olives and the 1/2 cup shredded cheese; stir until just combined. Spread out into a 9 inch square baking dish allow to rest while the oven preheats to 400 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes or until set.

Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Poke holes in the crust and pour enchilada sauce over crust, top with refried beans, carnitas, remaining olives and cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes; remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.

Sprinkle with cilantro; cool for 5 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips