Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cookbook Review - Down South by Donald Link

Yesterday my husband was driving me to bowling,  I've been bowling every Wednesday staying in practice for the winter league I'm on.  On the way he asked me if their was anyplace I needed to stop, I told him just the post office and UPS, I had a package to pick up.

We got to the bowling alley a little early so I opened the box I picked up at UPS.  Cookbook!!! Down South by Donald Link.  I opened the book at page 40,  I gasped and told my husband we will be stopping by the market.  There it was a beautiful photograph of cheese in a skillet, Uruguayan, Spicey Baked Cheese.

You know it's going to be a good cookbook when the first page you flip to you want to make that recipe and make it NOW!  It just got better after that with recipes like Parmesan Bacon Gougeres, Grilled Ham Steak with Charred Blood Oranges, Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder with Kumquats and Chiles, Watermelon Gazpacho with Crabmeat, Gingered Apple Slaw and Banana Pudding with Moonshine Whipped Cream.  With 110 recipes and 100 photographs in this cookbook my culinary trip to the South is going to have me busy in the kitchen and on the grill.












Donald Link is the chef-owner of Herbsaint and Cochon in New Orleans. He won the James Beard Award for Best Chef South in 2007.


No joke, on the way home I stopped at the market and made the baked cheese for dinner.  My husband wasn't to sure about baked cheese but one taste and he said I could make that anytime I wanted.





















If you love Southern cooking as much as I do you will not regret adding this cookbook to your collection.

I received Down South from Blogging for Books



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips