Monday, July 28, 2014

Blueberry Ginger Coffee Cake

I've been doing the 10,000 steps plus per day, I've got my trusty FitBit Zip on my hip (I know you enjoyed the little rhyme) and I've been pounding the driveway to our house everyday for the last 47 days.  I've also been eating healthier and logging my food into My Fitness Pal for the same amount of days.  I am not on a diet, I'm just making better choices.  I'm also not going to deprive myself of the good things in life that is one way to blow all my hard work.

I've been staring at the blueberries in the fridge that I have been snacking on and thought I bought way too many of these I better bake something before they go bad.  I decided to make a Blueberry Ginger Coffee Cake it will be a nice little treat tonight to go with my cup of joe.

This is my husband's piece of the coffee cake, that is my small piece in the background.







Blueberry Ginger Coffee Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 large egg
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup butter, slightly melted
1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen can be substituted)
4 tablespoons crystallized ginger pieces, cut small if needed

Topping

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and nutmeg; stir to incorporate dry ingredients.  In a small bowl mix together egg, cream, butter stir into dry ingredients.  Fold in blueberries and ginger pieces.  Spread into a greased 8x8 baking dish.

In a small bowl add brown sugar and flour, cut in butter working until crumbly.  Place topping on batter and bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in the center of the cake.  Cook on a wire rack.


3 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting in 10,000 steps every day. That's a major commitment and you should be proud. I try and get in at least two miles 4-5 times a week, but now I feel like a slug compared to you! LOL.
    This blueberry and ginger coffee cake sounds and looks wonderful, Pam! I adore that flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious coffee cake Pam, Love those addition of ginger and blueberry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love me some blueberries! great photo, makes me want to come to your house for a cuppa and blueberry coffeecake :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips