Thursday, September 20, 2012

Canning Tools and Cowboy Candy



I am a beginner at canning and a year ago I bought all the tools needed to start my canning experience.
I started out slow making some bread and butter pickles and two different strawberry jelly.  It was enough to wet my whistle to expand my canning and to upgrade the tools of the trade.

At Williams-Sonoma I found the tools that I needed to make my job easier.

I love the Kilner- Stainless Steel Jam Pan it is large 8.45 qt and handle for easy carrying and a pouring lip.  However, one of the best features by far is the measurements in pints and liters printed on the inside of the pan and the encapsulated base for uniform heat distribution. Priced at $99.95 and pretty darn stylish too. 

Stock photo from www.kilnerjarsuk.co.uk

Next is from the company Progressive (which have wonderful kitchen tools).  I love the feel, design and looks of these tools.
Canning Funnel - It fits standard and wide mouth jars, headspace measurements which I love and dishwasher safe. Priced at $7.95

Canning Lid Lifter - You can easily remove the magnetic lifter from your lids just by tilting the lifter to one side.  Priced at $2.95

Canning Tongs - Hands down a Winner!  The handle is spring loaded which makes it so easy to grab those jars easily out of the hot water.  Priced at $9.95 (stock photos from www.progressiveintl.com)

With the right tools canning is so much easier for the beginner and experienced canner. 


Cowboy Candy
Candied Jalapeños
by Rebecca found at Tasty Kitchen



3 lbs Fresh Jalapeños, washed
2 cups Cider Vinegar
6 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Remove the stems from the jalapeños and discard, slice the peppers 1/8 to 1/4 inch rounds and set aside. (note: use food grade gloves while handling peppers)

In a large pot bring cider vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, garlic and cayanne to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add jalapeños and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove jalapeños add to sterile jars to within 1/4 inch of upper rim of jar. Turn the heat up on the syrup and boil   hard for 6 minutes.

Using a ladle pour syrup into jars over jalapeños, use a damp paper towel to remove any stickiness from the jar rim and place a 2 piece lid on and finger tightened.

Place into a boil water bath for 10 minutes for 1/2 pint jars and 15 minutes for pint jars.  Remove from boiling water and let sit 24 hours before tightening the jars completely.  Let sit for one month before serving or giving as gifts.



Leftover syrup can be canned also to be used in recipes, brushed over meats, etc.

Until Next Time,
Pam

Note: I was not paid or given items by Williams-Sonoma, Kilner and Progressive to review.  All items were purchased and used by myself

2 comments:

  1. I'm a canning nut now - love it! Beautiful stuff you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to you Jenny I have found a real love for canning. You are such a dear and wonderful friend. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips