Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Old Time Favorite Tamale Pie and my Big Fail

I haven't had Tamale Pie since I was a kid.  I thought this is the perfect time of the year for this recipe.  Fall is just a few days away and I feel a crisp chill in the air.  Leaves are slowly changing here and I am looking forward to spending my first fall in Utah.


Tamale Pie

Filling

1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 19oz can enchilada sauce
1 14oz can black beans, drained
1 1/2 cups corn (I use frozen)
1 14oz can black olives, rough chop
1/2 cup sliced jarred jalapenos
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Salt

Crust

2 1/4 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups water
1 12oz can evaporated milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

For Filling: Preheat over 425 degrees, grease 12 x 9 inch baking dish. Cook beef, onion and garlic in large skillet until beef is browned, drain.  Stir in enchilada sauce, beans, corn, olives, jalapenos, cayenne pepper and salt.  Pour into baking dish.

For Topping: Combine corn meal, water, evaporated milk, cayenne pepper and salt in medium saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in green chilies. Top filling with corn meal mixture.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes, sprinkle with cheese and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serves 8

If you are not a fan of the heat leave out the cayenne pepper and jalapenos.

***

I have to tell you about my fail and thank goodness I tried this recipe now instead of waiting until the holidays.  I was making Ina Garten's fleur del sel Caramels but it was a total fail.

Not sure what I did wrong 

My caramels look nothing like Ina's beautiful caramels
I will be trying this recipe again I want those caramels

Until Next Time,
Pam




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips